Welcome to my blog. In the internet world, I am a little part that exists. Here you'll find recipes, rants, a few history lessons, and general silliness.
The WeatherPixie

archives


favorite links
Shop J. Jill!

Check out the weather

It's a girl's place

Cook! Create something yummy!

Vist Oprah Online!

My Flickr Account

Email Me

This page is powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, September 01, 2004
I'm Someone's Angel

A few years ago I went to see a play that one of my co-workers was in. I had reservations about going because the two of us have never had a great relationship (in my eyes), but I felt I had to go.

The theater wasn't in the best part of town, so Greg took me down and was going to drop me off and then come get me. That way I didn't have to walk to my car alone (it was at night) and the car would not get stolen.

We get there and the theater doors are not open...no one seems to be around. Then I looked around and realized everyone who was going to the play was sitting in their cars. So there we sat as well. The play was supposed to start at 8pm, so at about 7:50pm everyone started getting out of their cars to line up at the door. Greg asked if I saw anyone I knew. Sadly, I only saw one person I knew.....and I didn't even really "know" her. It was one of my co-workers cousins who I had met once when she came by our office. So I kissed Greg goodbye and got out and walked up the street towards the theater.

I think it's important here to mention I was the only visable white person in the area. This was a primarily black neighborhood and the play had an all black cast. I was going to be the only white person in attendance, but I had figured this would be the case, so this didn't come as a surprise.

Note: I'm not good at being social, but when forced, I can do an okay job of it. Normally I would not just walk up to people and say Hi, but I knew I was going to have to do that.

Okay, so I'm walking up the street and and I notice I'm getting more than a few confused looks. I know they had to be wondering what this white chick was doing in this area. Like all of them, I was all dressed up, so they knew I had to be going to the play. I get to the doors and I walk up to my co-workers cousin smiling softly. I figured my co-worker had told her I was going to be there and maybe she'd remember me from meeting her at the office.

"Hello Treta" I said.
She had this blank look on her face and didn't respond.
I'm feeling a little weird now.
"It's nice to see you again" I added.
The blank look was still there.

Note: her name is Pretreta but her family (like my co-worker) call her Treta....so that's how I've come to know her.

I looked over at the man standing with her.
"Hi" I said smiling, hoping he'd say something.
He smiled and introduced himself.
I introduced myself and told him I work with Treta's cousin who was in the play.
Then, she broke into a "Oh Lord, oh Lord" fit as if she suddenly had an epiphany.
I had no idea what was going on and the man she was with didn't either.
When she finally got herself together, she explained.

She thought I was an angel. I kid you not. I was dressed in a long flowing black dress that made my blonde hair stand out even more. I had heels on so I was tall. She had no idea who I was. So when I walked right up to her, dress flowing, blonde hair cascading down around my shoulders and I called her by a name only her family knew, she was sure I was an angel.

If I were in her position, I don't think I would have come to that conclusion. First, I think angels wear white and have wings - I don't own a white dress and have not sprouted wings, thank goodness. But hey, if you think angels walk the earth, then they'd look however you want them to I suppose.

Okay, back to the story....yeah, so I had her thinking I was an angel. She introduced me aroud to the other people as her guardian angel. Ever since then if I happen to be around when she's on the phone with my co-worker, she'll ask:

"Is that my angel I hear?"

I'm amused by this. I'm someone's angel.



posted by Kitty Wednesday, September 01, 2004



home


Website Counter