Welcome to my blog. In the internet world, I am a little part that exists. Here you'll find recipes, rants, a few history lessons, and general silliness.
archives
favorite links Shop J. Jill!
Check out the weather
It's a girl's place
Cook! Create something yummy!
Vist Oprah Online!
My Flickr Account
Email Me
The Skinny On H2O We've all heard the "drink 8 glasses of water daily" spheel. Well, I new information on the subject....and I'm pretty darn excited about it. Here's the deal. The Institute of Medicine of the National Academies in Washington, DC published an article this year that says Americans get enough water without trying. The average woman takes in approximately 91 ounces a day and the average man takes in 125 ounces from various sources, including juice, fruits, vegetables, and even coffee. Without even trying, people generally get enough water. "We're saying that there is no need to count glasses of water. So don't sweat it: You're probably well hydrated," says Michael Sawka, who was on the board that conducted the study. Marion Nestle, professor of nitrition and food studies at NYU, agrees: "Most people know when they are thristy and drink enough." They go on to say that you should use common sense when choosing what you drink. For example, 6 cups of coffee isn't the way to go even tho it's a source of water. Coffee is a diuretic and the caffeine will cause other problems for you. If you choose to drink juice and are on a calorie counting diet, flavored seltzer water is a better choice beause it has no calories. And, most brands of seltzer are low in sodium and add calcium and magnesium as an extra benifit. So there you have it. I'm so glad I don't have to think about getting down 64oz of water a day. And speaking of coffee, did you know there is a coffee olympics...of sorts? Check this out. posted by Kitty Thursday, July 29, 2004
home